Monday, February 18, 2013

Tofu Scramble

This is a good alternative to scrambled eggs. Filling and healthy! You can play around with any vegetable. I like to add something red and something green for aesthetics. I hate vegetables going bad so I usually scrounge up leftover veggies and scramble away. Try to stay away from veggies that give off a lot of water BUT you can always boil it off.

1 package of tofu (soft or firm)
sweet bell peppers and/or tomatoes
broccoli
mushrooms
onions
ham
salt & pepper
hot jalapenos (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Drain water from tofu. Cut into small pieces especially if using firm. Cook on high heat and smash with a spatula to make it look like scrambled eggs. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to season the tofu. You can always add more later. Cook until cooked through and all water has evaporated, approximately 10 minutes.

2. I would next add mushrooms because they give off water. Cook until the water has evaporated.

3. You can add all other ingredients but I would prioritize in the order of cooking time. From the ingredients above, I would next add bell peppers, broccoli, and onions. Tomatoes don't need to be cooked and ham gets dry so leave those two 'til the end.

4. I like a bit of heat to my tofu scramble. Add about 2 tablespoons of the jalapeno juice and chop in 3-4 jalapenos.

5. Add pepper and salt (if necessary) to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment